nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations

  • From: "Betty Mayfield" <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:33:02 -0700

Doreen,

To my taste, the best apple is Gravenstein--not the tart green ones sold in
stores--but the ripe ones from my own tree, yellow with red streaks. Not
only are they a good blend of sweet and tart, but they are the most
aromatic I have found. And this is true whether eaten raw or cooked in
pies, sauce, etc.

I have noticed that many people who don't grow their own fruit judge flavor
by the unripe--although usually pretty--fruits sold in supermarkets. It is
not a matter of expertise; it is just a case of whether one has access to
home-grown fruit.

Betty

At 08:03 PM 9/27/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I may be writing a small book on the best tasting apples. I'll have to
>limit the selection to about 30 varieties. All you apple experts and
>growers out there, how about your recommendations for the best tasting
>apple?
>
>I've already started to photograph some apples--Black Gilliflower (which
>tasted great), Cox's Orange Pippin, Wolf River (a bit too tart for my taste,
>but good flavor) and Prairie Spy. I will include Esopus Spitzenberg (my
>absolute favorite), Hudson's Golden Gem and Pitsmaston Pineapple. All three
>are winners in my opinion. Let's hear yours.
>Doreen Howard
>Zone 4-b--Wisconsin

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/15/_/423498/_/970255218/