nafex - Re: [nafex] Ripening pears

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ripening pears
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:35:39 -0400

Thanks, Ed, just the kind of answer I was hoping for. Will these (our first
of the season) two nights of hard frost have a significant effect on the pears
yet unharvested? How 'bout on Asians? Thanks again.
Richard

Ed & Pat Fackler wrote:

> Rich:
>
> In our experience, the most fool proof way to ripen most all European
> pear is
> by guaging pressure of fruit near the stem. This can be done very easily
> or when
> there is a slight give, pick them and store as quickly as practical to 32-34
> degrees for a week to 10 days.
> Then bring them out as needed and allow to ripen at room temps (65 or so)
> for 3-4
> days, sampling each day.
> In a home refrigerator, take them to the lowest practical temp
> (perhaps 38)
> and handle as described above. Keep in mind that at higher temps (even by
> a few
> degrees) overall storage life will be reduced.
>
> Ed
>
> "Richard J. Ossolinski" wrote:
>
> > Hello, all,
> > I've never cared for Euro pears, despite their sometimes wonderful flavor.
> > It's the texture (mouth feel) that doesn't agree with me. Furthermore,
> > they
> > have rarely done well for me, despite my giving them plenty of attention.
> > In
> > this light I have been converting my Euro trees to Asians, which are much
> > more
> > to my liking and which grow well here with very little pampering.
> > However,
> > this year two or three of my remaining Euro trees are laden with gorgeous
> > fruit, most of which is rapidly approaching harvest maturity and is just
> > too
> > good to waste on a cider supplement. Here's where I need some advice:
> > what's
> > the most foolproof (notice the careful choice of words) way to assure
> > timely
> > harvest and successful ripening off the tree? I know this has been
> > discussed
> > in the past, but my prejudice (against Euros) has always caused me to
> > turn a
> > deaf ear (again I refer you to the 'fool' in 'foolproof'.) Perhaps your
> > comments will lead to a reprieve for these last few trees. Thanks in
> > advance
> > for any guidance.
> > Richard

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9331/15/_/423498/_/970284826/