nafex - Re: [nafex] Keepsake: Day length sensitive?

  • From: Naomi Ann Counides <beefalo@rmci.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Keepsake: Day length sensitive?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:52:15 -0600

Good idea! Are there other apples with day length sensitivity? I am, also
growing Golden Nugget. At least that is what South Meadows said they sent.
I have it espaliered. It is loaded with large smooth greenish apples with a
blush. Very good flavor but milder than a Keepsake.
Naomi

jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Seems like many growers in the lower Mid-West and South have very low
> fruiting on cultivars that fruit heavily in the North....like Keepsake.
>
> In fact, Tim Udall (sp?) in St. Johns, Arizona wrote an article in
> Pomona on cultivars that he had been unable to fruit.
>
> Is it possible that some cultivars of apples are day length
> sensitive....that they do not set fruiting buds if the day length does
> not reach a certain length? Certain fruits, strawberries for instance,
> are extremely sensitive to daylength. The California strawberry
> industry grows the plants at one latitude. They are highly vegetative.
> Shipped to another latitude (approximately 200 miles) they set no
> vegetative buds and function as everbearers.
>
> So I propose a quick survey. Let's find the most southerly NAFEX member
> who reliably fruits Keepsake. Mine are TOO productive. They are
> biennial bearers. I am at 42 degrees, 30 minutes North.
>
> By-the-way, Keepsake is an excellent apple when fully ripe. I had been
> eating it half-ripe for many years. The half-ripe Keepsake had a grassy
> aftertaste. I was not impressed until we had an exceptionally warm
> year. That year, the Keepsake were as good as the Sweet 16.

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/15/_/423498/_/970237918/