msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Hasse" <jhasse@comcast.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:34:43 -0500

We have used a number of off-the-shelf products for SAR cartography.  All that we have tried have some significant limitations for SAR work.

Perhaps the easiest to use overall (but with some significant limitations) is National Geographic's Topo.  We have managed some very large searches with it and it handles multiple track logs OK.  I have put a few examples of maps generated with Topo in a file sharing site:  https://www.box.net/shared/iyr6iord4d.

We have also used MapTech Terrain Navigator with some success.  We understand that Terrain Navigator Pro is much better for SAR work.  It has some useful SAR-related symbols in its label set.  At $299 per state and $99/year for the aerial photo subscription, it is a little pricey.  It does handle shape files.

For a search in Canada, we used Touratech QV4 which is relatively full-featured.

We generally avoid the internet-based programs since we cannot be assured that we will have internet access at every search CP (such as TopoFusion and TopoGraphix ExpertGPS).

I haven't had the chance to use Global Mapper yet, but I intend to take a look at it.

Finally, we are in the process of acquiring and learning ArcView.  In spite of the steep learning curve, it has all the features that any Search Manager could want.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Hasse
Director, Search, Rescue, and Recovery Resources of Minnesota
Director, Jon Francis Foundation
President, Midwest Technical Rescue Training Associates