msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:50:30 -0400

ArcView and other ESRI software is pretty much the standard GIS for PA.  Another tool, used on site or via web is Pictometry.  This is a set of aerial photographs which has a set of measurement tools with it.  Most of SE PA is available and it can be run locally on an external drive that the EOC loads up once or twice a year as new pictures come in.  It is better for buildings, shopping centers, where you can measure the height of buildings, sides, parking lots on the pictures.

There are several other products you can use, currency and markup can be a problem.  Navteq and Delorme publish maps.  Twenty years ago we used Corel and similar products to mark up maps, pictures, without changing the underlying files.  There should be similar products available today.  The county web output CAD page uses Google actually.

Irv Lichtenstein