msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Resources

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Resources
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:53:16 -0400

The county CAD activates SEPASAR's alpha numeric pagers which are part of
the county emergency service alerting system. We can also get Ready PA if
everybody signs up-- this is an SMS system that puts out e-mails, text
messages, faxes, etc. to member's devices and is controlled by user
selection of what alerts to get (weather, disaster, specific emergency
organization) and the group administrator can trigger it as well. It usually
requires 25 or more persons to sign on to a group. It does cover all 5
counties in the region. Currently all active TLAER graduates are on pager,
or about 12 of our members out of 25.

We have furnished the 9-1-1 center (called Emergency Dispatch Services of
the Department of Public Safety on the county org chart) with a dispatch
protocol that defines conditions for dispatch, non-emergency message, and
just call the OIC for an evaluation if it doesn't fit the protocol or is
defined as a no dispatch (known dead bodies for instance).

On a non-emergency basis our members can also sign up for the Montgomery
County (PA) Public Safety News and Chester County Notaps (like FAA notices
or USCG Notices these are training events, drills, and system maintenance
notices)