msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Oren Levin <sar@pinetree.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:36:05 -0400

On 7/10/10 1:58 PM, Bruce Murdock wrote:
SNT107-DS129A8FB98E9232856C0A99FAB60@phx.gbl" type="cite">

I’ve looked through the archives and couldn’t find a recent thread regarding mapping.

I would like to get an idea of what software others are using for incident mapping. A good part of our most critical response area has very poor cell coverage so we pretty much need a desktop solution. I’m an ArcView user, but feel we need something without the steep learning curve. The ability to use shape files and MrSid aerial photograpy and topo maps is highly gesired.

I would recommend Global Mapper (www.globalmapper.com). Not as steep a learning curve and it can handle shape file, MrSID, and much more. We (New Jersey Search and Rescue) use this as our primary mapping software.

Oren
--
Oren Levin
oren.levin@njsar.org