msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping Software
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:12:26 -0600

I haven't used it for SAR but the OCAD orienteering map "viewer" looks like it
would be very useful for the purpose. OCAD is a drawing program for maps, not
a GIS. OCAD 10 Viewer is free, but runs only on Windows. It can be run in a
virtual box on a non-Windows computer, but on a laptop you can afford to
expose
to field conditions performance is likely to be poor. See
http://www.ocad.com.

OCAD is *the* software orienteers use to make very detailed maps, of course
starting from imported base maps obtained elsewhere. The few who don't use
OCAD generally use the Arc/GIS line of tools.

As a Planning Section Chief, the job of maintaining an incident map is mine.
Here in New Mexico we generally work on printed maps. We have pre-laminated
maps made for certain local SAR hotspots. They work in all conditions and if
the incident runs to multiple operational periods or becomes a more complex
one, there is minimum concern about transition of control to the new incident
command team. If you put all your information into the computer, you must
have total confidence in the robustness of the computer and in the ability
of others to operate the computer with sufficient skill.