msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Bruce Murdock" <ki7ci@msn.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:01:34 -0600

What would make you think we don't already coordinate with BLM, USFS, County
and State agencies and even some of the private timber companies? We all
share what information we have to update our coverages. The agencies around
here have very limited resources and we do the best we can. I've spent a lot
of time updating and verifying our county roads, identifying LZ's and
helping improve our capabilities.

Again, there are lots of things we would like to do to enhance radio
coverage, but the money just is not there. We have 1 Amateur and a state
radio tech in the group, we're looking for alternatives, but we have to
maintain compatibility with and work within the constraints of the Sheriff's
system.

I'm more than envious of the resources and capabilities that other groups
have, but the reality is that we will probably never approach those.

Bruce Murdock
GCSP