msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:22:35 -0500

Tomi raised the possibility of an unmarked well, outhouse pit, or garbage
hole. I would expect that if there were any in the searched area they would
have been found by either the searchers or farm equipment tilling the
fields. Examination of the land records will indicate what sections were
claimed in the past and who owns them now.

Depending on the transfers over the years you can check to see if the roads
follow the section lines as was traditional before the Depression and the
Dustbowl. If the water sources are shallow the wells would be in the 3 feet
square or so size based on one or two diggers and then a liner of stone or
timber. Many of these would be over 100 years old by now and probably
collapsed, not covered. A well that had not collapsed would possibly be
climbable. We still have a few wells around here but most townships
required concrete plugs when public water was connected to avoid the problem
of collapse. Same applies to drilled wells. What we have is sinkholes.

As to cell records, due to various scandals the major carriers are resistant
to releasing call details to just anyone. Around here a subpoena or a
warrant is usually served within hours and that changes their attitude to
the point that they usually assign a tech or an engineer to read the data.
We also have Phase 2 on the 9-1-1 centers so if they call 9-1-1 from a cell
we know where they are, even if the phone is unregistered.