msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:03:52 -0700

Irv wrote:
>For instance, to spot wells you will need 1 meter resolution of less.

Yes, if the well is visible, not concealed. I have had the experience
of stepping on a concealed well. It was covered by a thin beam and
sheet of plywood over a big hole, with some sand and gravel. I had a
major "oh s---" moment as the ground sagged beneath me. I knew what
it was, because I grew up in dug well country.

The approximate location of a well can be inferred from old topo maps
that show where buildings used to stand. Every homestead had a well.
Comparing old topos to Google maps provides a short list of abandoned
homesteads.

Una