msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:43:07 -0500

We not only have old wells but old latrine pits, pools, and tanks. The
latter are actually more dangerous as the manhole/clean out is fairly large
and often was left barely covered when the facility was abandoned. The fire
company recently had a rescue where a little old lady fell though when a
former cess pool collapsed. We have a whole neighborhood where electric
pumps have been installed, converting the tanks into surge chambers.

There have been fatalities from people falling into old tanks while filling
them with yard waste.

Generally, the change in ground cover and level is visible on an oblique
view (at an angle rather than directly overhead) due to subtle shadowing.
The other technology would be ground penetrating radar or synthetic aperture
radar.

Irv Lichtenstein