msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:52:25 -0700

Minnesota has Wireless Phase 2 E911 now. I don't know how far along
it was in May 2008. Minnesota requires carriers to provide data
within 6 minutes of request from a PSAP: http://www.911.state.mn.us/

I agree with Tomi the possibility of unmarked wells and similar does
exist. Comparing old topo maps and new satellite imagery (both are
on the web), I can see numerous old homesteads now disappeared from
the land. The odds of falling in one are very, very small, but I'd
look into it.

Please jump in and add questions and suggestions on the talk page,
and contribute to the plan:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:SAR_mission_2008_02
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/SAR_mission_2008_02

Both are editable by anyone.

Irv wrote:
>Depending on the transfers over the years you can check to see if the roads
>follow the section lines

The topo maps and satellite images both show that the back roads still
follow section lines. The highways are on the diagonal, and so are the
railroads and many of the creeks.

On the Wikiversity pages I have added links to relevant maps and images.

Does anyone here know a ready source of public domain maps and images?