msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tgschneider <tom_kasey@eee.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:05:06 -0700

the new ford F350 is sure a great truck for what you would need, especially in the mountains.
tom schneider

Pennbo's wrote:

Hi all, it's time to buy a new truck- finally! I have been looking at the Dodge and Chevy 2500 (3/4 ton) 4x4 diesels. But a salesman today said he thought I could pull the horses just fine with a 1500 (1/2ton) because they have beefier suspension and anti-sway capabilities than they used to- and both are rated to pull approx 10,500 pounds. So- have any of you used these trucks to pull your horses? what do you think of them? (I will at the most pull a three horse stock-type trailer but I do pull up and down mountains and dirt roads)

I have always stayed away from 1/2 tons because of the weight issue with live animals but the salesman today started me thinking. A 1500 would sure be easier on the gas, and the pocketbook!!

Words of wisdom?

thanks,
Chris Pennington