msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David Skofstad" <dbs54neigh@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:32:01 -0600

Pennbo, don't go there.

My first truck was a Dodge 1/2 ton. The "salesman" assured me it would be
fine. It was not. I had to add leaf springs just to ride level.
Eventually, the lug studs sheared and the right rear wheel fell off.
Fortunately I was not pulling the trailer.

Fuel economy is more a function of engine displacement and gearing, not so
much the strength of the chassis, although weight does count for something.
But if you are hauling in mountainous terrain, you want all the engine and
gears you can get. Don't get tricked into a false economy.