msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks? - (Slightly off topic but related)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Charles L. Sparke" <clsnv@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks? - (Slightly off topic but related)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:41:03 -0700

Whichever vehicle (car or truck) you buy, be sure to get BOTH keys to it when you buy it. The current tactic amongst car salesman/dealers is to only give you one key. They keep the other one for repo purposes because of the electronic chip (transponder) embedded in the key. Without it already programmed, they can't repo your car as easy, so they keep one for the finance companies. They know you'll want a second key and they want you to pay for it. BS. All cars/trucks/locks come with two (or more) keys. They can pay for "their" spare key, not you.

The benefit of having the two original keys is that all Fords and Chryslers needing these types of keys can program the new keys in right in the car without needing a fancy computer hook-up and paying them (or a locksmith, that's me) labor charges if you want another spare. GM's still need only one key to on board program with. Chrysler keys with the remote built onto the key are averaging $200-250 each, some that price includes programming, some that's extra.

If buying any Chrylser product, be sure to get the 4 digit PIN code for that car and keep it handy. All programming of new keys and a few other engine control functions need that PIN number to access the computer in the car. The PIN is only available from Chrysler, so if you should lose your keys over a holiday weekend, your screwed until the following normal workday, possibly 3 - 4 days. Get the PIN when you buy the car. You bought the car, the PIN goes with the car, you have a right to the PIN. It should be on a card in the glove box or with the manuals anyway, and is often on the original invoice, but check for it and get it if it is not. It will save you money and heartache in the future.

I gave this advice to a friend of my a year and half ago when he was going shopping for a new car. Sure enough, only one key per car (he was buying 2, one for him, one for her.) He remembered what I'd said and told the dealer he wanted both keys for both cars. Dealer gave him the song and dance about they only come with one each. He demanded both or the purchase was off. The dealer amazingly came up with both keys versus losing the sale (and his commission). Stick to your guns, people.

Charles L. Sparke
Commander
Pershing County Search and Rescue, Inc.
Lovelock, NV