msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Michael R. Schuppenhauer" <michael@silverhillpartners.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: pennbo@verizon.net
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:18:37 -0700

After so many members not liking the "1/2 ton" (1500 / F-150)
here is our good experience with it:

We bought a 2000 (New Model) K-1500 GMC 4x4 Extended Cab and are
pulling an Exiss 208LQ, which is a 2 Horse slant load with a
large living quarter, 26ft long, aluminium frame. It is build out
of a 3 horse gooseneck with just a tack room, so we could pull
that instead. We have also pulled a three horse bumper-pull
Exiss. We are in California, otherwise driving also into the city
and the truck has now about 105k miles. We are doing endurance
riding competitively and have been hauling around the state and
into Idaho, Nevada, across the Sierras etc. To get out from where
we are we have to climb over a 1000 ft hill. We have added helper
springs (which I would anyway do whichever size truck) and have
used a sway-bar addition for the bumper-pull. Also, I made sure I
had the largest engine type (gas, with automatic gear) and the
largest axle ratio (influences pulling power up) available. The
major failures we had were one shot rear-differential (happened
while pulling a trailer, though probably unrelated) and bearings
from the rocker arms in the engine came loss (a documented issue
with this truck type). In addition we had a broken tailgate
(closed while pulling the truck out under) and a damaged rear cab
(it is a short bed, so there are limits as to how one can angle
the truck to the gooseneck...).
All in all we are very happy with it and in retrospect I would by
it again (I heard horror stories on the Ford (everything coming
apart on new ones), there is no Dodge dealer really near by so
that was not an option, and we did get a good deal on the GMC).
We are getting around 19 mpg driving city and highway as well as
pulling (mix).

Here are the thoughts to consider:
* For a "1/2 ton" you should only pull aluminium frame type
trailers so you are not wasting pulling power on steel, then you
can get away nicely with 2-3 horse trailers as we do.
* Get helper springs and use a Gooseneck, rather than a bumper
pull, both for easier driving (regardless of truck size).
* Trucks got bigger and stronger over the last years, so a 2000
is much different than a '98, as much as a 2007 is much stronger
than a 2000. That refers to engine and overall pull power, frame
etc.
* The brake part is rather relevant, but you really have to dig
deep into data in order to find out and insure that your
2500/"3/4 ton" does indeed have stronger brakes. I would make
sure you do the "HD" package rather than the sizing part of the
truck. I think loosing any type of electric brake would be a
nightmare regardless what truck size.
* Along that line, make sure that the truck does actually pull as
much as you need to pull, i.e. by picking the right size engine
(preferably diesel due to better torque and second battery) and
the right axle ratio (more pull power, higher is better), as well
as knowing your trailer weight and size
* If you bother comparing the data, you will notice that indeed
there are "1/2 ton" configurations that are much stronger than
some of the "3/4 ton" specs for new trucks. Comparing a new to an
older you will always find the new models are way stronger.
* In fact, you may find that a 2500HD non-duelly will be stronger
than a plain 3500. So the "ton" part is not indicative of
strength
* I would like to have a full cab front and back, but then you
may end up with a pretty short bed and that does inflict on the
turning radius for the gooseneck, so you will want to make sure
you have a nicely sized bed.
* A dually does not work well in town.

In sum, while I like the 1500 and would buy it again (as diesel,
HD), I could consider a 2500HD Diesel, just because I might like
to pull the big 8 horse stock trailer for the Polo Ponies (that I
do not have yet...).

Hope that helps,

Michael RS
San Mateo MSAR