msar-riders - [MSAR] Drill Team or Search Horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "The Hitchn Post" <hitchnup@msn.com>
  • To: "msar-riders" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Drill Team or Search Horse
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:34:47 -0600

I've decided after a couple of weeks reading all the different opinions that
I'd throw mine in.
Can a drill horse make a good search horse? We are under the Sheriff
Department so they want us doing parades and security along with SAR, we
drill in the parades doing wheels, columns of two's, fours, sixes, and other
fun things, we do not run the horse's. Our mounts must learn to work in tight
groups stirrup to stirrup, they must remain clam even with loud noises,
little kids running in and out getting candy thrown from the floats ahead of
us, fire trucks or marching bands behind us. With security we have to move in
and out of traffic the horse's must remain still while we stop and talk with
people on foot, in cars, or wheelchairs. our horses all must be approachable.
These skills serve to enhance our SAR horses to be clam and steadfast in the
field.

Horse types: I have a QT and in our group we have 2 Morgan's, 1 Mustang, 3
QT, and a Paso we are in Southern Utah with every type of terrine from steep
mountains to flat deserts, all these horse's have worked out fine as MSAR.
Jorene is correct when she said the speed is 3-5 mph. Searching is a slow
process. I also have a 23 year old Morgan that broke his knee 10 years ago
but can still out walk most horse's, but I prefer my QT because she is an
example of what they were bred for, ranch work up and down mountains and
being under saddle all day and staying clam is all situations.

Pam Williams
Iron County MSAR