msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:57:09 -0400

Well said Jorene! You describe searching speeds exceptionally well!

I have 2 (Texas Breed) QH's and one 5 gaited Mountain Horse, all of which are used in our MSAR program. For back country searching in the Appalachians with few established trails, I will grab my QH any day. They [a QH] simply seem to know when they are working and seem to take pride in working. If I have a 20 or 30 miles section of towpaths or bike trails to cover I'll use my gaited guy, who seems to never understand what work is about, but is a true dream to ride as far as comfort goes. Knowing your search conditions, terrain and your mount's ability is a three legged stool that enhances a searchers likelihood of a successful mission.
Tomi` TROTSAR

Jorene Downs wrote:

We have steep, remote mountain terrain in our common search areas. The QH is normally an excellent MSAR horse coming from the breed background of long days of ranch work, etc., with bursts of speed as needed. Plenty of stamina and endurance, and usually good agility. All of our local MSAR ride QH / QH types or mules in our part of the Sierra Nevada.

Common for traditional MSAR is to rarely go faster than a walk. And faster walking horses isn't necessarily an advantage in SAR. Moving too fast can mean missing clues - the rider *really* needs to stay focused. Equine walk speed is generally at 3-5 mph. As management planning MSAR missions, we normally figure for a 3 mph search walk, which also allows for a few dismounts or short rest stops at the top of a steep pull. (3 mph is routinely used by local Backcountry Horsemen when they plan their trips into the backcountry with their pack strings.)

But natural stride at the walk is the key issue for walk speed more than breed type. Some can surprise you. Years ago we owned a foundation bred QH mare who was barely 14.2 (cow horse lines) who had a natural walk that left all the QH types, the few Arabians, Appys and the rare local gaited horses in the dust when all were simply walking on the trail. And that mare could go all day - sometimes 12 hour days - with no problem, then lead off again next day. And her agility was awesome on the mountain trails. We never used her for MSAR, preferring horses from our herd that walked at a more normal speed while searching. (We breed APHA, so the herd is Paints - QH with extra white - and QH.)

Our best ever MSAR and backcountry horse we retired from mountain use at age 24. An ex-working ranch horse, over a dozen years later that very reliable QH gelding still obviously looks for cattle (and whatever else) out on the trail, doesn't hesitate to go off trail as needed, and clearly communicates when he notices something. Willing to take on any obstacle, and he'd go strong for many days deep into the backcountry on pack trips. He also strolled along many parade routes over the years with the Posse. He earned his MSAR retirement. ;)