msar-riders - [MSAR] Indiana air scent training, September 23-24 2006

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Indiana air scent training, September 23-24 2006
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:29:53 -0400

The annual Evansville/Vanderburgh County "Hoof and Hound"
event might not take place this year; I find no web site
for it. Would someone in Indiana please call the contact
number and ask?

But there is a 2-day course on air scenting coming up in
Indiana, September 23 and 24. It is intended for SAR dogs
and handlers, but I have no doubt MSAR people could learn
a lot from observing. If I were in Indiana, I would be
campaigning to be allowed to audit and I would volunteer
to be a search subject.

Here is the URL:

https://oas.in.gov/hs/training/public/calendar.do;jsessionid=0af00a0bce8fefb63c2a8ed4258892cf1e3bd2a6f98.okXOpQ5Nq30Nq7qUaNaKb3D3lN4K-x8Oa2SLa2SLagSLbkiSaQmT-x4KaAbwmhjznA5x-wOSa30K8QzIqN4KnOPDn5eL-AzJr6XvqR0KaR1R-BbCml9zn2TNr65OngTDpwTPqMaRaNiPbNqQbNuxf2b8iOzh8QfznA5Pp7ftolbGmkTy?method=detail&id=174

And some of the text:

Air Scent Techniques for K9s- Advanced

category
Search and Rescue

location
Camp Atterbury

city/county
Edinburgh/Johnson Co.

09/23/06

end date
09/24/06

start time
9:00am

end time
5:00pm

max students
20

course manager
Lillian Hardy

contact number
800-200-7424

contact email
lhardy@dhs.in.gov

lead instructor
Lillian Hardy

test date
09/24/06

notes
This course was formerly named Wilderness/Area Search Techniques
for K9 Teams. Maximum canines to attend are 10. Prerequisites:
CPR & First Aid, Obedience & Agility (or equivalent), Basic &
Intermediate Air Scenting Techniques for K9s. This two-day class
is designed to help experienced K-9 teams with tactics used
during the search for missing/lost persons in the wilderness
environment. The class is open to air-scent teams. There will
also be exercises in land navigation and clue finding. Training
is hands-on, scenarios and training exercises are set up based
on the dog and handler's experience level.