msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:18:37 -0700 (PDT)

Quarter horses are sprinters, so they are not well suited to do well for
distance. So unless your searchs are limited to the traditional quarter of a
mile area a quarter horse can run like heck in, anything above that distance
chances are, you will be riding the wrong horse in an all day or more than
one day search.

I ride a Quarter grade mare. She will go all day, keep up with the gaited
purebred Walkers around here and never tire me out. She has a loose, long
strided walk that covers a lot of ground and has a pretty good trot, but it
is her walk and her great and uncanny ability to keep up w/o tiring that
wears out the rest!

I will take her over a gaited horse anyday. I have even ridden 3, 5, Paso,
etc. Remember....she is the one I also trust with my life.

Teri

PS Be danged if she didn't pass on her endurance to her daughter. Who
also picked up some speed from her unknown sire. Of course the filly has been
going on trail rides since she was 2 mos old, lol.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.