msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:06:49 -0400

Karen Nesbitt wrote:
> Tomi makes an excellent point when it was said that "knowing in
>advance what the teams strengths and weaknesses will maximize the
>field performance...." however as a volunteer you generally do
>not have that option

Karen, as a *spontaneous* volunteer you don't have that option.
Which is precisely why some SAR managers won't use spontaneous
volunteers. And why there is a widespread trend for MSAR units
to become stand-alone organizations rather than being a subset
of a social riding club's membership.

Two field training events are scheduled in September in Indiana
and Illinois. See http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/events/ and try to
participate if at all possible. I suggest you attend without a
horse, so you can focus on maximizing SAR training for yourself.