msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Drill Team or SEARCH HORSE
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:05:50 -0400

Management perspectives for a task team size change from region to region. In most of our response area our task team consists of two horse and rider units. In the State of Virginia, their new standards will describe that a Mounted Task Team will have a minimum of two horse and rider units with a maximum of three horse and rider units. I am on the MSAR Standards Committee for the State of Virginia and will share the proposed updates once they are approved, which should be within 6 to 9 months (currently the 2003 VA State MSAR standards remain in place).

Irv was right on the mark about working our the differences between gaited and strides of different horses before hand. An MSAR team leader should know his or her team and their abilities and how to deploy their team's resources. A team's training officer should ensure that all team members have ridden together during practices and mock searches. Our team has a cadre of horses that range 14.1 hand endurance arabs to 17 hand draft horses yet regardless of size, all have practiced together as a field team at one time or another. Knowing in advance what your team's strengths and weaknesses will maximum field performance during a mission. An IC staff will relay on the ability of a MSAR team leader to match the task teams to their assigned task. Unlike a drill team where conformity and likeness are plus (if not a requirement), each breed of horse and difference riding disciplines enhances depth and scope to an MSAR team's ability to best serve the mission.
Tomi`
www.trotsar.org

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN wrote:

From a management perspective you need a task team of 3 or so that can ride
together, move comfortably at a walk or fast walk for the task duration,
handle the terrain, and bring your people home safely. The task leader is
going to set the pace. Most of the time a decent trail horse will adjust to
its companions. In the case of a long stride horse with shorter stride
horses they may even stop when they bunch up and wait for the group to
spread out again, playing rear guard for the "herd", or they want to be out
front, setting a faster coverage rate.
How smooth the ride is partly breeding, training, and a lot conformation. I
have had a horse that trotted beautifully, but nobody could ride him at a
trot because his legs moved fine, but they were the wrong lengths for his
body. Or the transitions may be rough. A big horse may need assistance going
forward during a gait change. And lastly, your mount may signal you that he
wants to change gaits because some other gait may be easier on him than
where you have him. Can he walk as fast as a slow trot? Or cantor as slow
as a fast trot? Which is easier on that particular horse and terrain?

The best to find out is to go out and ride with your team. Try various gaits
and combinations of riders and mounts during training and exercises.