msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:12:12 -0600

Margie Spencer wrote:
>I am a new member, and am following the thread regarding training and
>charging for such.

Hi Margie. Welcome to MSAR-Riders. I'll respond to just two
points in your post. 1: training horses for cadaver search.
2: national certifications.

Cadaver search

Many horses seem to have an instinctive reaction to cadaver
scent. Some show a very postive interest; others are very
adverse to it. As in, "Get out of my way NOW, I'm leaving!"
Terry Nowacki on this list can tell you the most about this,
as you probably already know. But another good resource is
elk hunting outfitters who use horses and mules to pack out
the carcass.

Then there's the question of personality re interest in the
search work itself. In my experience, some horses are real
"naturals" at this; I think Terry would agree.

Everyone seems to agree that the best horses for scent work
are those reared on open range (so-called ranch bred) where
they learn to fend for themselves.

Certifications

MSAR is years behind the K9 SAR community. At present, the
ASTM task group for MSAR is working on defining necessary
KSAs (knowledge, skills, abilities). Defined KSAs are just
one part of certifications: other parts include an explicit
certification process and a certifying authority. And, we
expect, relevant training materials. Once an ASTM standard
is published, it becomes available for anyone to adopt.
I expect NASAR will develop its own certification process
for MSAR, incorporating ASTM standards. Jorene Downs can
speak to that. Some MSAR units already have committed to
adopting the ASTM standards; they are also developing their
own certification processes and may seek to involve outside
certifying authorities (eg, their state emergency management
or SAR agencies having jurisdiction and/or associations).

Does this fully address your questions re certifications?