msar-riders - [MSAR] helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] helmets
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:31:02 -0500

Our MSAR team requires that an approved riding helmet be worn during all training and deployments. I wear the Troxel Dakota with an extended sun visor and the GPS adjustable system. <http://www.equestriancollections.com/eq/editBag.do?departmentId=-4&productId=5959>

The Troxel (adjustable) fits head sizes 20 1/4 to 23 1/2. The GPS II adds "quick-fit" with the soft-touch dial permitting a quick and precise helmet adjustment. The GPS III won't pinch or pull long hairstyles and is ponytail compatible. <http://www.troxelhelmets.com/safety/technology.php>

I realize that requirements for helmet wear can turn into a heated discussion on some MSAR teams. However, the same thing can be said about the use of seat belts and child car seats. Riding styles and traditions must take a back seat as MSAR duties turn into a professional standardized resource. With professionalism comes additional personal responsibilities and "safety" must be of utmost concern. Someone will always have a story about how a limb stuck in a friends helmet and quickly removed them from the saddle, but could that same limb have entered the skull thus moving some gray matter around before taking that same person out of the saddle? The bottom line fact remains that the wearing of a helmet reduces the severity of head trauma injuries. As a volunteer public service equestrian resource, I believe MSAR personnel need to set an example (for both young and old alike) that reflects "personal safety" as being a key component of our (volunteer) profession.

Tomi`
Commander
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland