msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:39:16 -0800

I used a synthetic for years and only sold it because it didn't fit my horse. It was light weight, well made, and very solid feeling. EASY to clean! It had a smooth out leather seat.

As to getting leather wet- I have been told by several saddle makers that getting a saddle wet is not a problem. It's how you DRY it that is the problem. Also, most modern saddles are 'laquered' over the leather- that's not the surface of the leather you see. You can remove it and then use a good oil to keep your saddle young and full of life for many decades. (somewhere I have a good article on this process) If you don't you need to make sure to occasionally oil UNDER the flaps whereever you can reach in order to keep the leather supple. My saddle has been wet a few times and I've dried it off slowly. It's fine, a couple of water spots here and there that don't bother me at all. Also, $2500 isn't really that much to spend on a custom made saddle and there are many reasons for having one custom fit. I have one very hard to fit horse. Instead of throwing good money after bad on stock made saddles I am saving to have a custom made one. It probably won't cost me $2500 because I want round skirts, no tooling, and a smooth out seat but it will cost close to $2000. From what I've been pricing on the internet most really well made saddles are running between $1000 and $1500 new. Anyway, just another opinion to throw into the mix!

Chris Pennington