msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:43:28 -0500

It depends on how much riding you do. The synthetics do not seem to last as
long as poorly cared for leather saddle. My leather saddle is over 15 years
old, never serviced and rarely cleaned or oiled. I have seen riders go
through a highly reputable synthetic in under a thousand hours in the
saddle. Also be careful of spring trees or flex trees. If the saddle moves
up and down as your weight shifts or if you post it can rub a horse raw and
the older spring or flex tree did so routinely. The style is what you are
comfortable with.

Helmets are designed for the activity. Construction helmets are designed to
deflect falling objects, riding helmets are designed to absorb impact.
Bicycle, motorcycle [street, motocross, dirt] parachute, crash, and
equestrian helmets are also designed with the anticipated impact in mind.
Wearing the wrong kind of helmet is almost as bad as no helmet. ASTM
standards are available for all kinds of recreational safety equipment and
most work safety helmets.