msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:31:45 -0500

For a saddle I prefer my original 1904 McClellan ( see
http://www.borderstates.com/leathergoods.html for reproduction saddles).
The saddle was design for the comfort of the horse and is very light.
I use a endurance riders pommel pack and the 1904 saddle bags on the
cantle. My bed roll ties with the coat straps on the cantle, overcoat
and rain cover with coat straps to the pommel. I also have the 1859
style fenders on my stirrup straps. I use a crupper and breast strap.
These both provide for a more secure ride in rough country and a place
to hang lights. I also recommend carrying a nose bag to carry feed and
to water your mount ( so you can use a hose or if there is not a safe
way to enter a stream).

Since the McClellan does not have a leather cover over the slot, I can
tie off to the saddle as you would dally to a western saddle. If I need
to pull something, I tie off to the cantle. This way the rope is not
across my leg but under my butt.

I have been soaked many times (three days in a row one time). Riding a
wet saddle is never any fun but when you are five days out there is
nothing to do but ride. Once I get home, then I dry out the saddle and
oil everything back up.

Larry