msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:18:10 -0500

Sherry,

I have been using an Abetta (synthetic) Southwest Western Saddle for MSAR use over the past several years. I suggest that you replace the stirrups and add extra D-rings. The saddle work great on wet trails or when it's raining and is very easy to keep clean. The down side of the Abetta is that it does get a bit hard after 5 or 6 hours of riding. <http://www.russostackshack.com/abetta_saddles/id61.htm>

I recently replaced my leather saddle with a new Big Horn flexible saddle. I prefer the the leather saddle over the synthetic, but I only use the leather one on nice days and during the dry season. The new padded seat that Big Horn uses provides excellent all day comfort. <http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/flexible-tree.html>

I suggest that everyone who performs MSAR duties to have an extra saddle. I have the D-rings in the same places on both saddle so I can change my SAR saddle packs from one to another and still know where all my gear is located. Our MSAR team requires that operational members carry at minimum all items listed on the NASAR SAR Tech-II equipment list plus lead line.
Tomi`

Commander
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland
<http://trot-md.org/sar.htm>

Sherry C. Hicks wrote:

Which brings me to my next question...Has anyone tried one of those
synthetic saddles? They are so light and, shall we say, cost effective. I
have some other things made out of cordura and it is extremely durable. I
mostly trail ride and am not out to impress anyone. I use an aussie now, no
horn to get stuck in the gut with, and like it a lot. I know horns come in
handy, but I haven't needed to tie off a calf in the 13 years I've been
riding. I have been thinking of a synthetic as a second saddle.

Sherry
Tennessee - START