msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:44:07 -0600

Irv Lichtenstein wrote:
>I have not ridden a NACMO course but I have heard many horror stories about
>horses ridden into the ground since time and finishing are all that
>reportedly count.

The NACMO website has ride results, but those do not include
time to finish nor if all markers were found. The IMO website
http://www.idahomountedorienteering.org/ does include this
information for some rides. In the header menu, click "2005
Rides".

The Black Canyon ride, placing teams:

First five markers with a time of 3:55.34.
Second five markers with a time of 4:20.55.
Third five markers with a time of 4:33.00.
Forth four markers with a time of 6:20.45.
Fifth four markers with a time of 8:01.09.
Sixth four markers with a time of 8:02.00.

First, let's imagine this was a USOF meet. Only the first 3
of 11 teams finished the course; the other 8 did not finish
(DNF) because they did not find all 5 markers. In a USOF
meet, a large fraction of DNFs means there was a problem in
the course design or the meet direction, or something adverse
happened during the meet such as the weather became violent
or controls were moved by vandals, windstorm, etc. What was
the problem with this course?

The Black Canyon results also note one team was out in the
field for over 9 hours. When/how do meet directors decide it
is time to go out looking for someone? Also, long durations
like this, if typical, may be an important contributor to the
horses' condition at the end. Looking at other ride results,
this ride was a little out of the ordinary. Typical times to
finish IMO courses are more in the 4-6 hour range.