msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering (IMO)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Brian Dix" <BDix@bcidaho.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering (IMO)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:38:04 -0600

>Do the pre-meet clinics teach novice participants effective search
>strategy? Eg, for search there is a significant advantage to being
>on a multi-person team, because effort is an important contributor
>to probability of detection (POD).

- In IMO the first ride of the year is our "Training" ride, it is a non
competitive ride with difficulty between an average short course and an
average competitive course. We pair up new comers with experienced
members and take them through the course, we try to keep the ratio
around 3 to 1 (new comers to member). The information dissemination
depends on the current level of comfort of the new comers we have had
people who have never held a compass to people competed in some form of
orienteering and everything in between. The benefits of team work are
stressed but not required, although on the competitive courses most
everyone rides on a team. On "competitive" rides there are participants
who competing for year end awards and those just out to have fun, so
when new riders show up to a ride we normally can place them with a team
who can show them the ropes. In IMO all teams are required to find
Marker 1 (which is located within walking distance/visible from the
Start/end point. Which gives the ride managers a chance to assess new
riders before we let them out on a course.

>Dot on the map? Does a dot indicate a "station", meaning the
>general area in which the marker (plate) and landmarks (clues) are
>more or less hidden? Or does a dot indicate the approximate
>location of a single landmark?

There are 5 markers and at least 10 landmarks (min of 2 per marker).
The dot on the map denotes the area where the landmarks are to be found,
and the intersection of the compass bearing from the landmarks is the
location of the marker, so the marker location is only dependent on the
intersection of the compass bearings. This leads to part of your other
question "How do they emphasize map and compass skills?" On competitive
rides the intersection of the compass headings tend to be further from
the markers so the more accurate a rides is on following a heading the
easier it is to find the marker. On the short course and training ride
the course uses more prominent land marks on the competitive rides
closer attention to the topography is required. On the short course and
training ride the markers tend to be close to trails/logging roads where
on the competitive rides the markers are much farther off a trail if one
exists at all.

Does this help?

Brian

Confidentiality Notice:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this
communication in error, please do not distribute, and delete the original
message.

Thank you for your compliance.

  • Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering (IMO), Brian Dix, 10/27/2005