msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:51:34 -0600

To illustrate the style of advice I seek re horse-O, on course
design and participant training and skills, here is a good
example relevant to USOF style foot-O:
http://members.aol.com/dwildfogel/TTips/TTipHome.htm
A lot of the material on that website is relevant also to SAR.

http://www.williams.edu/Biology/Faculty_Staff/hwilliams/Orienteering/rtechce.html
has a nice visual illustration of the topic of route choice.
Which leads me to ask, in mounted orienteering meets using
NACMO or IMO rules, where a majority of riders do not find
all the markers, what usually prevents these riders from
finding all the markers? Do the riders usually find all the
stations but then don't spot the landmarks or markers? Or
are the riders not able to nagivate from one station to the
next? In other words, do they have more trouble navigating
or searching?