msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted orienteering
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:03:18 -0400

I have participated in both USOF foot (orange) and mounted meets. In both
cases special or 1:10000 aerial topo maps were used as opposed to the usual
7.5 min or 1:25000 we use for searches. Partnering was allowed in both
cases. It was an enjoyable if occasionally frustrating event.
I was also part of a team that provided safety and monitoring for an Olympic
level USOF event in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains. That was cut throat
and resulted in at least two competitors being hospitalized and several
being treated. One was from West Point and the other from Sandhurst. They
take their orienteering seriously. The courses I have walked or ridden were
all safe and if not obvious from one point to another at least the points
were well marked, took advantage of the terrain and required some navigation
around obstacles. Delaware Valley O. A. courses at the orange level or
higher were considered tough enough to complete the map and compass portion
of SAR training.

I have not ridden a NACMO course but I have heard many horror stories about
horses ridden into the ground since time and finishing are all that
reportedly count. Assuming one of these is true I would be cautious about
having any mounted event where horse condition at the end was not a scoring
factor. I also have second thoughts about an event where time to finish is
the only winning factor. We use public park lands for our events and having
a flat out race is dangerous to the other park users. There have not been
any sanctioned or unsanctioned rides in Valley Forge National Historical
Park until summer 2005 because of the fear of the impact of a flat out race,
even in the thinly populated non-historical areas of the park. The 2 events
held there this summer were non-timed events, the event sponsors had to post
the park entrances to warn other users, and there were few if any
interactions with other users as a result. The only competitive mounted
orienteering event so far in this area is run by Ludwig's Corners Riding and
Driving Club in a state park under USOF style rules, without the punches at
each stop.