msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Discussion list for Search and Rescue <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:51:11 -0600

Hal Sikes wrote:
>advocating having people put their emergency contact in their
>cell phone directory so rescuers would know WHO to call in an
>emergency....ICE--Dad.

How about HELP--Dad? HELP seems more intelligible worldwide
to non-emergency responders than ICE (In Case of Emergency).
And non-emergency responders are the folks who need the most
help figuring out what to do to help you.

My cell phone is shared among my family, so it is programmed
with such useful entries as HOME.

Many people are wary of programming any of their own personal
information into their cell phone, lest a Bad Man get hold of
it. Ditto leaving an informative note on the dashboard of your
vehicle at the trailhead. Aren't these just more instances
of the contradictions between Stranger Danger vs Hug A Tree?