msar-riders - [MSAR] Airport trail riding

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Airport trail riding
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:47:58 -0700

Possible opportunity for desensitizing your horses
to loud noises and large objects flying overhead?
In those respects, airplanes resemble helicopters,
so why not ride the perimeter of a major airport?
(Lifted from a rec.equestrian thread on this topic.)

Houston Intercontinental:
http://www.horseridingfun.com/darearticles.html
http://pegasus.alert.cc/equiphany/default.asp
http://www.horseridingfun.com/airportride.html

Baltimore/Washington International (BWI)
http://www.bwiairport.com/around_town/the_bwi_trail/
(webpage out of date; equestrian use now permitted)

I think my mare is so totally cool with helicopters
in part because she used to live next door to the
local airport and National Guard and Forest Service
helicopter base. Helicopters running bucket drills
(dropping water) in the near distance do not phase
her.

  • [MSAR] Airport trail riding, Una Smith, 03/12/2005