msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:47:28 -0700

Sacking out- I have found that this means different things in different areas. Here it means taking the horse as a youngster, snubbing them to a pole, and then terrorizing them until they finally give up and don't care anymore. [...] Maybe your defintion of sacking out is different!!
Chris, I think we're on the same page regarding desensitizing / sacking out a horse. ;)

From my old post ...
"The intent should be to demonstrate that the object is harmless to the horse, not generate fear and flight."
"Patience, patience, and more patience is required. Besides desensitizing the horse, you're also building a trust relationship so when you tell the horse later that some object or obstacle is safe, he'll believe you."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,