msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:35:08 -0700

A major part of total control is using the right equipment correctly.  For example many people do not understand how equipment such
as  different bits and spurs were designed to work and there proper use so they atomically think they are cruel.
I prove that a properly used spur is gentler on your horse than the rider trying to enforce their will on the horse by
kicking.
Yes Yes and YES again to these points!! The proper equipment used properly is wonderful. As mentioned before- the spade bit. An weapon or torture tool in the hands of the inexperienced. Poetry in motion in the hands of a master. I am soooo tired of watching people use spurs as "giddy up" devices- they are for finesse! Fine movements in controlled situations. They are not extensions of your heel to force your horse to move by kicking harder! I don't usually ride with spurs- two reasons. One- I get involved in the trail and over growth and have been known to lean over my horses neck and put my feet up behind- not good with spurs on! Two- I can't find the ones i want. Anyone have a good source for well made spurs that won't cost my first born?

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR