msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:14:21 -0700

From: wwfarm
Speaking of total control brings me to my next point. A little while back I was on a general SAR list where they started knocking MSAR. It seems that their biggest problem was riders that could not control there horses. All mounted people have to remember most people are naturally a little afraid of a 1000 lb. plus horse. The problem gets worse when they see riders that can not control their horses.  If you are riding with out total control of your horse and trying to do SAR, crowd control, or riding in a parade you could jeopardizing your mission and the safety of others.  This is one area that is being over looked by many mounted groups. More mandatory training needs to be required in this area.
An excellent point, Terry. I agree that rider training should be ongoing in MSAR. This is a safety issue. "I've been riding for decades" does NOT mean that person is actually a trained - or particularly good - rider. I started riding 45+ years ago and there are plenty of things about riding that I can't do with as much competency or finesse as I'd like, and some types of riding I simply never tried. Also, many horses never went beyond basic training under saddle, so don't have any understanding of some of the moves an MSAR rider might need to be asking for. Or if it isn't practiced regularly, the consistency and precision of a cue will be sloppy and the horse may not translate the cue correctly. The delay for correct response, or the potential incorrect response, could actually make a difference in rider safety or others.

Even though horse and rider might be well seasoned, mixing a rider with more limited training with a horse with more limited training, and you have increased the potential for decreased rider control of that horse. But regardless of the level of training for horse or rider, there is always more to learn. ;)
A major part of total control is using the right equipment correctly.  For example many people do not understand how equipment such as  different bits and spurs were designed to work and there proper use so they atomically think they are cruel. After learning how to use the proper equipment correctly you can have total control  while still being gentle and kind to your horse.
Yep. The better trained rider will rely substantially more on seat and legs for communication. Combine the better trained rider with the better trained horse, and the bit need only be comfortable in the horse's mouth because contact is very light.

I've heard non-Western riders complain about the "cruel" curb bit, yet the common low port curb with a moderate shank is actually kinder than a broken mouthpiece snaffle if someone starts hauling on the horse's mouth. And while there are plenty of people who misuse a spur - pick a discipline - the ability to use one correctly provides opportunity for increased finesse. Another misconception is the Western spur, which appears to be nasty. Yet lightly touching and rolling that spur correctly is actually gentler than poking with any spur (including English) or banging the horse's side with a bare boot.

Once the horse understands the lighter and more subtle communication, you tend to have a more relaxed, more willing horse, too. To have a calm, willing horse is a big advantage for MSAR if the rider gets into a tricky suituation! ;)
The interesting thing about working with horses is that neither the horse or our selves is ever through learning.  You never get bored there is always a new challenge just around the  corner.
Yep. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA