msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:07:26 -0700

On the two previous posts from Jorene on horse training she brings out some excellent points.

When it comes to horse training there is a major difference between what novice horse people would like to hear and reality.
Example - The last parade our group rode in I noticed a rider in the parade was riding with only a halter. When I questioned what he was trying to prove he informed me that he learned this technique at some clinic he attended on natural horsemanship. Now as far as bits go I teach my  students that milder in most cases is better but lets get real ! There is a time and place for most everything but a parade where the streets are lined with small children is no place to be riding with out total control. I myself have done obstacle negotiation demonstrations bridleless even crossing teeter totters under safe arena conditions.  Of course along with the demonstration I informed the group that the point I was trying to get across was that a properly trained horse that trust his rider does not need to forced to do maneuvers. I would never ride my horse in a parade bridleless even though he could do it. In a situation like a parade, anything can and occasionally does happen, for the safety of others you better have total control.

Speaking of total control brings me to my next point. A little while back I was on a general SAR list where they started knocking MSAR. It seems that their biggest problem was riders that could not control there horses. All mounted people have to remember most people are naturally a little afraid of a 1000 lb. plus horse. The problem gets worse when they see riders that can not control their horses.  If you are riding with out total control of your horse and trying to do SAR, crowd control, or riding in a parade you could jeopardizing your mission and the safety of others.  This is one area that is being over looked by many mounted groups. More mandatory training needs to be required in this area.
 Now days everyone likes to talk about desensitization training, which is good, but let me tell you a major key to any type of obstacle negotiation or controlling unexpected happenings is total body control of your horse. Just last spring I myself  won a major state wide obstacle competition with a perfect score on young inexperienced horse that was afraid of his own shadow. My horse won by myself being able to control every step he took forward , backward and lateral plus the fact that he had trust in his rider..  A major part of total control is using the right equipment correctly.  For example many people do not understand how equipment such as  different bits and spurs were designed to work and there proper use so they atomically think they are cruel. After learning how to use the proper equipment correctly you can have total control  while still being gentle and kind to your horse. For my students I do a clinic called Bits, Buttons and Spurs. I show how and why different equipment works in horse training and how to install buttons for total bodycontrol. For example even the most severe bit in the hands of a knowledgeable horseman or horsewomen can be gentler than just using a rope around the nose of a horse especially when a untrained person is pulling on the reins. Another demonstration I give that groups just love is where I prove that a properly used spur is gentler on your horse than the rider trying to enforce their will on the horse by kicking.

The interesting thing about working with horses is that neither the horse or our selves is ever through learning.  You never get bored there is always a new challenge just around the  corner.

TER
Whirlwind Farms Inc. Training Center
Marshall County Mounted Sheriff's Posse