msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mules?????

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "glazejk" <glazejk@netmdc.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mules?????
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:56:36 -0600

Barbara,
A good source of information on mules is "Western Mule Magazine" (www.westernmulemagazine.com). The July 2003 issue has an article about a rescue in the Catalina Mountains of Arizona using mules. One of the contributors to the magazine, Terry Nichols, is the gentleman I bought my Appaloosa john mule from. His number is 918-546-2713 in case you have any questions about mules. He is more than happy to help out anyone looking for a mule. I  reccomend that you be very candid about your riding experience and what you plan to use a mule for. I told Terry I was looking for a mule to be used for hunting and MSAR. When he found one that fit my description and ability he invited me up to his ranch in Oklahoma for a few days. During this time I was able to ride the mules he had for sale. I did end up buying the aforementioned mule and he has never gotten "stupid" or tried to buck me off. When it comes to any equine, especially mules, find someone who knows what they're doing and will take the time to answer your questions. While we all have to watch our budgets, I am a true believer in spending the extra money for the best disposistion you can get. For me color is irrelevent. I want an animal with a good mind and a soft eye. Get a vet check to make sure the animal is sound. Mules on average will be hardier than their horse cousins, they have a more efficent digestive system(they do great on grass hay), and better hooves. Training mules can be a challenge if you are not a patient person. It is my experience that the more you ride the better they get. No substitute for wet saddle blankets.
J. Glaze
Tularosa, NM