msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] HORSE TRAINING
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:47:00 -0700

I had to stop and think about your comments on Parelli. I have used his methods pretty intensely over the last 4 years. There is some merit in what you say about novices- however I think that is true about many training methods.
The scary part about all clinician situations is that many people think they can just go home and try the same thing. While a more experienced rider might do this with a degree of success, any novice trying to "train" their horse requires supervision. "Go practice this and come back to my next clinic" isn't the message I'd want to reach the novices. But this is the message they usually get. This doesn't mean what is being taught at the clinic is wrong, just that many people will take home the wrong message. The huge problem is the novice only has a tiny perspective of the training big picture and won't recognize the problems emerging when they do something wrong.

Some clinicians make big bucks selling "gotta have this training aid" and that also rather annoys me. Many people tend to buy things that will supposedly provide some kind of shortcut in training. They don't know how to fix a problem and reach for a tool they think will provide a solution instead of learning the basics to fix themselves, so they can fix the horse. An example is Monty Roberts selling a halter that resembles a war bridle ... and handlers are likely to learn to rely on the ouch factor instead of learning better handling methods. The same is true of most "quick fix" methods - people rely on the escalation instead of getting educated to do things right.

Sacking out- I have found that this means different things in different areas. Here it means taking the horse as a youngster, snubbing them to a pole, and then terrorizing them until they finally give up and don't care anymore.

A great example of how sacking out / desensitization is done incorrectly. <sigh>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,