market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coolbot done...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coolbot done...
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:50:21 -0400

Richard,

Can you share a bit of your coolroom construction? I am building one
myself in the next month, 8' x 8', based on the plan from the University
of Kentucky:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/aen/aen96/aen96.pdf

I was planning on using two layers of 2" blue insulation foam.
Hopefully, that is going to enough.

I also plan on having two vapor barriers (one inside the insulation, one
outside) since I will use the room as cool room in the summer, and a
(barely heated) root cellar in the winter.

I am still not entirely how sure I will finish it inside. I would have
liked to use some kind of vinyl or plastic, so that I could wash it with
a hose, but I am not 100% certain it is worth the trouble to try and
make it waterproof.

I am also considering a mini-split air conditioning unit. They are
mighty expensive, though. Perhaps if I can find one on sales, or used.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I placed my order for the CoolBot this morning.

Etienne