market-farming - [Market-farming] After 60 years, a total pea failure?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] After 60 years, a total pea failure?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:07:52 -0400

Had a patch of ground that last summer was tilled, rock picked, and then seeded

with oats, annual alfalfa and white clover. Never did see any of the alfalfa. It was

mowed a few times, each time thickened up the clover and this spring it looked

like a going concern.

Early Aprill I tilled and planted peas; year old Lincoln and Green Arrow from Fedco and

my own growing, fresh Cascadia from Fedco, and Premium from Johnnies just to have some

treated in the game; all innoculated.   After a week the Premium came up....thats all, and at

an inch and a half tall they stopped. Digging in there was not a sign of a seed anywhere,

except the Premiums and they only had a flabby brown tap root.

About April 20 I got some Seedway seed (untreated) and planted over all but the Premiums

 but after six days there was not a sign of them, they were totally disolved, melted, rotted and gone.

Looks kind of silly out there, those few peas from 2/3 to a few at 10 inches tall and all loaded

with blossoms!

SO, what I would like to know is "What in Thunderation is Going on"?

MAsteveINE