market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilted lettuce at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilted lettuce at market
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

I am just blown away at the amount of greens and lettuce people produce and sell.  I have tried to producing some, but for me it is too labor intense. I also don't have the time to harvest, wash, dry and bag when school is still in session.  How do you all do it? Cut, wash, dry?

With my tunnel growing space, I know I could grow more.  The greens, salad mix and lettuce that I have grown and sold has never amounted to much.  It always seems that I would bring some home. When you only take 8-10 bags, charge a cheap price (compared to many of the prices stated here) and bring home 3-5 bags it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Just curious,

Jay

Where the winds are blowing 35-50 mph and the temps are in the 80's. Where is my hat?

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com
http://highfarming.blogspot.com/