market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rodale bug catcher

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rodale bug catcher
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:52:42 -0500

Do ducks eat Japanese beetles?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 08:28:51AM -0500, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I can relate this story from my childhood. For catching bug in the field. My
> Granddaddy would place a wash tub with some water and just a light coating
> of kerosene on the water. Them place a kerosene lamp over the tub. Come
> morning the tub would be covered with dead bugs. Bill in Texas

I learned the same thing from one of my grandfathers.  During June Bug
season, we set out, in our yard, a tub nearly full of water with some
diesel floating on top, then hang an electric light just above.

Before the coyotes got our ducks, we would hang an electric light just
above the ground and the ducks would eat until they couldn't neat more.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  624 days  4 hours 44 minutes