market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse plastic
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:45:52 -0500

This is exactly the way we install plastic and have since 1995 when we built our first high tunnel.  Our winter growing is very important to us, and even a couple of degrees difference can be significant in the winter.  Our high tunnels are consistently 8 or so degrees warmer than outside ambient temperature at night, and that difference allows us to consistently grow cool season crops all winter.  We are in south-central Kentucky, zone 6b or 7 depending on what map you look at, but we have had zone 7 winters for a decade or more. So, we use IR as the inside layer, regular as the outside.  We also bring outside air to the inflation blower fan to decrease condensation between the layers of plastic, which enhances the amount of light in the tunnel - really important in our gray winters.  Be aware that the IR plastic is not as "tough" as regular plastic, and needs careful handling during installation.

We don't have any research that proves that the IR makes a difference, but it has worked for 15 years for us, it is not THAT much more expensive - especially when amortized over 4-5 years -  and we are unwilling to take a chance that it does, and maybe lose a crop.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm