market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pre-weighing/boxing and bagging (was Market scale)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pre-weighing/boxing and bagging (was Market scale)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:41:48 -0400

We do that too, weight and bag/box everything before we get to market. I find boxing tomatoes saves a lot of tomatoes from the fate of customers squeezing them to see if they are ripe/ready which can lose you up to 5-5 of you maters at a busy market.

We do bring an old fashioned hanging scale that is not electronic (but sealed by the two counties where we sell so is very legal for commercial use) to weigh a few items like eggplant, onions and zucchinis as well as weighing boxes as we need to refill.

We only use our scale for set
up, we don't sell across it, that is too slow.  We weigh out our
tomatoes into plastic baskets, before market starts and when we get
breaks.  Then we sell by the basket.  We have an 8' prep table that we
cover with filled baskeThis is much faster when you have customers lined up.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm