market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling of Meat in Minnesota

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling of Meat in Minnesota
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:54:11 -0500

I spend a significant portion of every day marketing.

Yesterday, for example, I pitched a publication on doing a couple
articles. I made sales calls (by telephone) to four stores (sold to
two). I worked on two presentations - one which I'm giving to a local
home owners' association, the other for the N. Michigan Small Farm
Conference, where I'm giving the keynote Jan. 25.

I also added names to my e-mail marketing list (nearly 4,700 subscribers
now), worked on the re-design of my web site, started designing new
labels for my products (of which we have 20), and discussed an
advertising program with a food magazine (which I can't yet afford - but
hope to by mid-year).

Other days, I'll pitch to more stores, work on a book (called,
tentatively, "Cookin' with the Chile Man"), see about lining up more
presentations (both local and natioinal), put together dinners with
local restaurants (we have two upcoming), talk to some local wineries
about private-label products, finish my fair schedule (we did 38 events
last year, 10 of them at the farm), work with a local farm on joining
their CSA, develop and promote new products (we have 3 or 4 new ones I'm
contemplating), and try to plug into some new Internet search engines.

There's lots to do out there - but we have to come off of the farm to do
them. This time of year is the best to develop and execute new
marketing strategies. Wish I had more time to do them year round!

--
Robert Farr
The Chile Man

* A sustainable farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas, mustards,
and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com
* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html
* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See our web site for
details!