market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] consumers choose organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] consumers choose organic
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 06:12:35 -0600

> Says NMI Managing Partner Steve French: "There is some fundamental
> misunderstanding of what makes a product organic. Across a variety of
> criteria regarding the understanding of organics, 48% of consumers seem to
> have a firm grasp of the true meaning. Additionally, and much more
> concerning, is the low recognition of the perceived product benefits that
> are derived from organics, including taste, nutritional benefits, and
> others. Although the recent USDA label initiatives will provide awareness
> and credibility to the industry, marketers will need to take the
> responsibility of communicating these key benefits of organic products to
> consumers."

All the information I have says that FRESH is better tasting and more
nutritious. "Organic" doesn't mean fresh. I know of no correlation
between organic and nutrition and taste. Can anyone enlighten me?
Or is this NMI guy lying? It is my perception that the primary
marketing ploy for organic is that the chemicals that may be found on
non-organic produce are a health risk, that is, that you get cancer from
eating non-organic produce.

--
Willie mourning a long duration power failure
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html