market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:25:17 -0800 (PST)

Ed Clifford wrote in part:

> Now I'm not saying it can't be done, but you must have some pretty
>amazing marketing skills. That's what I'd like you to share. Anyone can grow
>mushrooms or any other produce, it's getting top dollar that separates the
>hobbyists from the professionals.

Ed,

Richard may have good marketing savvy, but
what he does may not apply to your tomatoes.

If you are trying to increase the net dollar yield
per acre for your tomatoes, what are you telling
your customers downstream in order to increase
how they value your tomatoes in relation to the
next farmer's tomatoes?

If you haven't branded your tomatoes to the people
who ultimately consume them, you are leaving big
money on the table.

The same applies to meats, sold for human consumption
or as pet food, produce, finished goods, etc.

Organic is not a brand, it is an attribute,
as are locally grown or any other trade group
monikers tacked onto goods, except those
used in unified marketing and sales programs
such as Sunkist(R) citrus products, but mainly
oranges.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming